Nothing beats the heart-warming and permeating smell of cinnamon and clove in the house. Warm the hearts of your loved ones with these delicious pumpkin scones for breakfast or afternoon tea. Roasting fresh pumpkin is a lot easier than you think and delicious in this recipe. You can use any leftover pumpkin for a wonder fall soup base, scoop into a smoothie or add to a hot bowl of oatmeal. You can also substitute organic, canned pumpkin if you are short on time.
Nutritional Facts: We've tweaked the recipe of these scones to remain low on sugar, but high in fiber from the whole grain flours and flax eggs. Additionally, coconut oil contains healthy medium chain fatty acids which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
Makes 12 scones
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and no processed sugar.
1 cup almond meal
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup coconut flour
¾ t sea salt
½ t baking soda
½ t baking powder
¼ cup chopped & toasted pecans
¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
1 t pumpkin pie spice
½ t cinnamon
½ t ground cloves
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup coconut oil, melted
⅓ cup maple syrup
⅓ cup honey
1 t vanilla
2 flax “eggs” (1 egg = 1 T flax powder + 2 T water) See here for instructions.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Prepare the flax eggs and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Toast pecans lightly in a small pan on the stove. Let cool and chop coarsely.
4. In a medium-size bowl, add all dry ingredients. Use a spoon to mix thoroughly.
5. In a small bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients, including the flax eggs and pecans.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add in the wet ingredients and mix together until smooth. Mixture should be fairly thick.
7. Shape the scones. Lightly dust a clean cutting board with brown rice flour. Divide the dough into two parts. With your hands form a ball and place on the board. Gently press down forming a round disc about 1 inch thick.
8. Cut the disc into 6 equal pie shapes. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
9. Place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet.
10. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until scones are lightly browned.