Baked Turkey Meatballs
Nothing says family comfort food more than homemade meatballs! You'll love these quick, easy baked turkey meatballs loaded with protein and flavor. Serve as an appetizer, over quinoa pasta, or (our favorite) fresh zucchini noodles.
Turkey is a wonderful source of lean protein, packing 30g in just 3 ounces. Turkey is also a great source of iron, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorus and B6. The idea that eating turkey makes you tired is somewhat of a myth. Turkey does contain tryptophan which is a building block for serotonin, a neurotransmitter regulating sleep and melatonin. However, the sleepiness factor is likely due to overeating at holiday meals.
Sources: How Stuff Works, Nutrition Data, Whole Foods
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Makes 20 meatballs
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free and no processed sugar.
1 lb ground turkey
½ cup grated yellow onion
¼ cup garbanzo bean flour (or sub gluten free flour blend)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-½ t Italian seasoning
½-1 t red chili pepper flakes (depending on spice level you like)
½ t sea salt
½ t freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
2. Place ground turkey in a medium size bowl.
3. Grate onion on large holes and add to bowl.
4. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix well with a spoon.
5. Scoop out 2 T of the mixture and shape into balls.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked through.
7. Serve warm with your favorite marinara sauce and pasta or as an appetizer.