Vegan, Gluten-Free Banana Cinnamon Pancakes
After quite a few tests and experiments, we think we’ve developed the best gluten-free, vegan pancake recipe! This is the perfect weekend late-morning breakfast to make for your friends or for yourself with lots of leftovers. Even better with some of our Almond Butter smeared on top!
Whole grain flours such as brown rice and sorghum contain a healthy amount of fiber which is important for digestive and cardiovascular health as well as for maintaining healthy gut microbiota. Fiber is slower to digest so when consumed it can help you to stay fuller longer and help to regulate blood sugar levels. We recommend 28g per day for optimal health.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and no processed sugar.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
1 ½ cups GF Flour Blend (*see below)
1 ¼ cups non-dairy milk (try our cashew milk, but almond-milk, macadamia nut milk, soy or rice milk also work)
1 ripe banana
1 flax egg
1 t vanilla extract
1 T baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1 T honey
Pinch of salt
1-3 T of coconut oil for cooking
*Special thanks to Cara Reed at ForkandBeans.com for this fantastic, all-purpose, gluten-free baking blend. Make this big batch and save leftovers for your future baking adventures.
3 cups brown rice flour
3 cups sorghum flour
1½ cups potato starch
1½ cups arrowroot powder
1. Mix flour blend, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.
2. In a blender, mix non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, banana, honey and flax egg. Blend until mixed and no banana chunks exist.
3. Slowly mix liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix together until no dry powder is left.
4. Heat 1 T of coconut oil in non-stick pan on a high simmer. It’s much better to cook pancakes on a lower heat for a longer time than cook them too fast.
5. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop 2-3 pancakes into pan depending on size. After 3-4 minutes, check under side to see if they are golden-brown. Flip to other side and cook additional 3-4 minutes. Before flipping, add any additional desired toppings (non-dairy chocolate chips or blueberries are our favorites!)
6. We like to turn the oven on low and keep the pancakes warm if we are waiting to have a sit-down meal. Otherwise slather on almond butter or any desired toppings and enjoy!