Add some color to your life with this nutritious beet dip. Serve it with sliced veggies or crackers for an enticing appetizer or snack. Or use as a spread to add some color (and flavor!) in your lunchtime wrap or sandwich.
Nutritional Facts: Beets are an excellent source of fiber, folate and contain many phytonutrients which support detoxification, anti-inflammation, and antioxidant processes. Beets are also a great source of the minerals iron, potassium, phosphorus, manganese and magnesium.
Sources: Nutrition Data, The George Mateljan Foundation
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, no processed sugar
1 lb beets
Juice of one lemon
1 clove fresh garlic
1 t cumin
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t sea salt pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
1. Trim and wash beets well. Cut into large chunks and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
2. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to coat. Spread out evenly in pan.
3. Bake at 325° for about 45-50 minutes until knife pokes through easily. Remove from oven and let cool.
4. When the beets are cool, use your hands to peel off the outer skin. Cut beets into chunks and place them in a food processor or blender.
5. Add in the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
6. Taste for seasoning.
*Cook's Note: Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve with crackers and/or seasonal vegetables. This dip also makes a great spread for sandwiches or wraps!