The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie
There's never a wrong occasion to make chocolate chip cookies. It's been rainy around here lately and this was the perfect antidote! Be sure and invite friends over to share with you because it's hard to stop at just one!
These cookies are freakin' amazing. And let's face it, baking successfully with no eggs can be a challenge! That's why we love using applesauce in this recipe as an egg replacer. Applesauce acts as a binder and keeps moisture in the cookie so it has a nice bite. The cookies do tend to be pretty crumbly, so not great for dipping in milk. But delicious nevertheless! Try using applesauce in your other baking recipes too!
Makes 12 cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, and no refined sugar.
2 cups gluten free flour blend (*see below)
1 t baking powder
½ cup coconut sugar
3/4 t sea salt
¼ t ground cinnamon
¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened
3 T cold pressed virgin coconut oil, melted
¼ cup pure maple syrup
2 t vanilla extract
½ cup vegan chocolate chips 60-70% cacao
½ cup gluten free rolled oats
¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
*Special thanks to Cara Reed at ForkandBeans.com for this fantastic, all-purpose, gluten-free baking blend. Make this big batch and save leftovers for your future baking adventures.
3 cups brown rice flour
3 cups sorghum flour
1½ cups potato starch
1½ cups arrowroot powder
1. In a large bowl, mix together the first 5 dry ingredients.
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well with a spoon. Time to access- if your dough is too dry add a little more applesauce, 1 T at a time.
4. Fold in the oats, chocolate chips and nuts until well combined.
5. Scoop a scant ¼ cup of dough for each cookie. Shape into a ball and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Gently press down on each cookie to flatten a bit. Cookies will not spread or expand very much during baking.
7. Bake at 350° for about 12 minutes until set and lightly browned.