Bison Burger in Portobello “Buns”
This past summer we spent some time in Montana and Wyoming where one can find a good Bison burger on most menus. We have created our own version served up on a portobello mushroom so it’s gluten free and low in carbs. The secret is adding in the ground bacon to keep the patties juicy inside and hold the otherwise lean bison meat together. Finally, sprinkle with a pinch of chipotle pepper flakes before grilling to add in a hint of smokiness that will take your burger to the next level of decadence.
No gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, sugar or egg
1 lb ground, grass-fed bison
3 slices, nitrate- and sugar-free bacon
¼ t chipotle chili pepper flakes (optional)
4 portobello mushrooms
1-2 T balsamic vinegar
1. Place the bison meat in a medium sized bowl.
2. Grind the raw bacon in a food processor fitted with blade attachment or chop very fine, then add to the bison meat.
3. Mix the meats together until thoroughly combined.
4. Pat into 4 equal sized patties and sprinkle each side with sea salt and a pinch of chipotle chili pepper flakes.
5. Prepare the portobellos. Using a spoon, remove the scales from the stem side of the mushroom. Brush with extra virgin olive oil and drizzle the balsamic over each one. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Grill or bake mushrooms on parchment paper; stem side up at 325°F until they are cooked through (about 25 min).
7. Meanwhile, grill or cook the patties in a skillet on medium heat until center reaches 160°F for medium (about 4 minutes per side).
8. Place the patty inside the portobello and serve open faced with your favorite toppings such as greens, fresh tomato, sautéed onions or sliced avocado.