Making your own creamy, vanilla cashew yogurt is worth it just for the money you'll save. This yogurt has healthy probiotics, can be used as a yummy dessert with honey and cacao powder, or with our Granola recipe for breakfast. It is super easy to whip up a batch too - just remember to allow time for the cashews to soak!
Cashews are a mineral powerhouse as a great source of copper and manganese as well as a good source for magnesium and phosphorus. It also contains healthy fat in the form of oleic acid which helps raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol.)
Makes 5 cups
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 12.5 hours
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, and no processed sugar.
1 cup organic, raw cashews
4 cups filtered water
¼ cup arrowroot powder
3 T pure maple syrup
1 probiotic capsule (can be bought in any drug store)
1 t vanilla bean paste, or sub vanilla extract
Special equipment: candy or other food thermometer and an oven with a light.
1. Soak the cashews in filtered water for 5-7 hours then drain and rinse.
2. Fill blender with the water and add in cashews. Blend on high for 45-60 seconds until completely smooth.
3. Pour about 1 cup of cashew milk into a small bowl and whisk in the arrowroot powder until completely blended with no lumps. Add into a medium-sized pan along with the remaining cashew milk and maple syrup.
4. Heat on medium, stirring frequently, until the temperature rises to 185° F.
5. Remove from heat and let sit until temperature comes down to 125° F. You can place the pan in a large bowl of ice water to speed up this process.
6. Once the mixture has cooled, whisk in the contents of one probiotic capsule.
7. Pour the mixture into glass containers (mason jars work well). Leave the lids off and cover with a towel. Place the containers inside the oven with the light on. Let sit for 12 hours.
8. After 12 hours take the yogurt out of the oven and mix in the vanilla bean paste. There may be a thick crust on the top which you can whisk vigorously back into the mixture.
9. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.