Curry Chicken Lettuce Cups
This upgraded curry chicken salad will add flavor and nutrition to your spring table. Using avocado instead of mayonnaise in this dish transforms a once-tiresome salad bar staple into a fresh, unique, and healthy dish.
Curry is a spice blend that originated in South Asian cuisine. Depending on the region, curry powder will contain different spices; however it is most common to find turmeric, coriander, cardamom and cumin along with red pepper. Curry is known to have anti-inflammatory properties (most likely from the turmeric) as well as immune support due to the anti-bacterial components of coriander and cumin.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, and no processed sugar.
1 chicken breast, poached and diced
½ ripe avocado
⅛ cup green onion
½ cup celery
1 T parsley, chopped fine (or sub cilantro)
½ t curry powder
¼ t turmeric powder
⅛ t cayenne pepper (optional, for an extra kick!)
⅛ t salt 2 T toasted pine nuts (or sub cashews)
juice of ½ lemon
⅛ cup golden raisins
10-12 lettuce leaves such as butter lettuce or romaine
*Cook's Note: Feel free to use what you have on hand to make this up. For example, you can use different nuts, add more veggies such as grated carrots or zucchini, or you can add in red grapes or apples instead of raisins for that sweet bite.
1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil and gently add in the chicken breast. Keep to a low boil and poach for about 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
2. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. When cool, dice into small bite-size pieces.
3. Scoop avocado into a medium size bowl and add lemon juice and spices. Mash together with a fork until smooth and well combined.
4. Chop parsley, onion and celery and add to avocado mixture along with chopped chicken, nuts and raisins.
5. Stir together to coat chicken and vegetables with avocado mixture.
6. Spoon avocado mixture, chicken, raisins and nuts into bowl with vegetables and stir well to combine.
7. Scoop onto lettuce leaves and enjoy!