Our chicken piccata dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal but will also have your dinner guests asking for seconds. The tangy capers combined with fresh lemon juice make this classic Italian dish come to life.
Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein boasting about 35 grams in just 4 oz. It is also a very good source of vitamin B3 and holds a good amount of selenium, choline, phosphorous and vitamin B6. The quality of the protein and fat in chicken is heavily dependent on how it was raised which is why we recommend pastured and organic varieties. You can find a retailer near you at www.localharvest.org.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and no processed sugar.
2 skinless and boneless pastured, organic chicken breasts
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chickpea (garbanzo) flour for dredging, about 1 cup
¼ cup pastured ghee for sautéing
2 T extra virgin olive oil
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
¼ cup brined capers, rinsed
⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Filet chicken horizontally then cut in half for 8 pieces total. Pound each piece lightly with a kitchen mallet to even out thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge chicken in chickpea flour and shake off excess.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon each of ghee and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When fat starts to sizzle, add in 4 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes.
4. Remove and transfer to plate.
5. Add 1 more tablespoon of both ghee and oil then cook the remaining 4 pieces of chicken in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate and set aside.
6. Add the lemon juice, stock and capers to the pan and bring to a simmer, scraping up brown bits from the pan which will add some thickness to the sauce.
7. Check for seasoning and add salt or pepper as needed.
8. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter and cover to keep warm.
9. Add remaining 2 tablespoons ghee to sauce (optional) and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.