Kale 'Trick Dog' Salad
If you haven't been to 'Trick Dog' in the Mission neighborhood of San Francisco, you should. Not only do they have delicious cocktails in a cool venue, but they have this incredible, heaping kale salad. They use a different dressing and add parmesan cheese to theirs, so our kale salad is adapted to be allergy-friendly with our own Bites Beyond Limits twist! But this is a very hearty, filling and easy meal to whip up!
Kale is a great source of the vitamins K, A and C. It is also a good source of the minerals manganese and copper. As with other cruciferous vegetables, kale is also known for its anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties coming from both carotenoid and flavonoid anti-oxidants. Additionally, the sulfur content in kale provides important detox support to the liver to remove toxins from the body.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free and no processed sugar.
1 bunch lacianto kale (or more popularly known as dino kale), chopped
1 cup cooked white quinoa, start with 1/2 cup dry
1 ripe avocado, sliced
½ cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 tsp salt
3-4 T of our Tahini Dressing
1. Prepare the tahini dressing.
2. Thoroughly wash the kale and pull leaves off the stems.
3. Chop kale into bite size pieces, place in bowl.*
4. Follow instructions on package to cook quinoa. Typically the ratio is 2 parts water: 1 part quinoa, then simmer covered for 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove lid and fluff quinoa with a fork, allowing it to cool.
6. Toast pumpkin seeds lightly on stove, flipping occasionally. Set aside to cool.
7. Mix dressing with kale to coat thoroughly.
8. Add pumpkin seeds, quinoa and avocado.
9. Toss and serve!
*Cook's note: you can actually chop the top half of the kale leaf, you really only have to pull the bottom half around the woody stem.