Kimchi Fried Rice
We got inspired to make this dish after eating at Jong Ga House; a delicious Korean BBQ restaurant in the heart of Oakland, CA. We ordered this dish and were mesmerized by the crispy rice, and the spicy kick of the kimchi. We were craving it so badly the next week that we immediately got to work trying to re-create it. While we likely won't ever rival the original, we think we came pretty darn close.
Add in a healthy dose of protein and sautéed greens on the side for an excellent main dish.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free and no processed sugar.
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, medium diced
2 cups plus ½ cup roughly chopped kimchi
¼ cup kimchi juice, or to taste
4 cups cooked, short grain brown rice (start with 2 cups dry)
2 T tamari or coconut aminos
1 t sesame oil
1 cup protein of choice: chicken, tofu, beef, pork (optional)
4 eggs scrambled or over easy, (optional)
1. Cook your rice according to package instructions. When finished cool and dry out a little by spreading it on a large baking sheet.
2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat and add onions. Stir onions to coat and sautee for about 2 minutes.
3. Add 2 cups kimchi and kimchi juice and bring to a simmer (if using protein, add this in now as well.)
4. Add in the rice, tamarin and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
5. Cook on medium heat until all the sauce is absorbed.
6. Meanwhile cook the eggs in a separate pan.
7. Serve the fired rice in bowls topped with egg (if using), reserved chopped kimchi, and other toppings as desired.