Tapenade is a favorite at any party. Making your own is so easy and once you've done it you'll never go back to the oily version found in the grocery store deli. Use on sandwiches, in wraps, or toss into a salad.
Olives are a wonderful source of healthy monounsaturated fat which is known to support heart health and lower blood pressure. Olives also contain a wide variety of phytonutrients providing anti-oxidant as well as anti-inflammatory protection. Olives are made of 80-85% fat which makes them high in calories, so eating in moderation is key.
Makes 2 cups
Prep-time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free and no processed sugar.
1 cup pitted green olives, rinsed and drained
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, rinsed and drained
¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic
1 t red chili flakes
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T fresh parsley leaves, chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Place all ingredients except olive oil in food processor.
2. Pulse until coarsely chopped and remove 2/3 of the mixture and place in a bowl.
3. On low, drizzle olive oil into remaining mixture until well blended.
4. Add last 1/3 of olive and oil blend to the bowl and mix with a spoon to combine well.
5. Taste for seasoning.
6. Serve on crackers or as a spread for sandwiches or wraps.