Cauliflower Rice Paella
Before shellfish season ends, we’ve created this low-carb paella recipe for you to try this week. Use your favorite fish and mollusks or try it with chicken and sausage for a heartier version.
Scallops are an excellent source of low calorie protein. They are also a good source of the minerals magnesium and potassium which are needed for hundreds of bodily functions each day, and Vitamin B12 which we need for energy production and heart health. Scallops are also a great source of Omega 3 fats which are heart protective and keep inflammation down in the brain.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, and no processed sugar.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 medium head cauliflower
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 red bell pepper, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup diced, canned tomatoes
2 t paprika
1 large pinch saffron threads
1 t sea salt
1 dozen clams or mussels, scrubbed
½ lb large sea scallops, quartered
1 lb wild King salmon, skinned and cut into 1” square pieces
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 lemon, cut in wedges
1. Follow recipe for our Cauliflower Rice! Cut cauliflower into florets. In batches, pulse in a food processor to break down into small pieces similar to the size of rice.
2. Heat 2 T olive oil in a paella pan or heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. When shimmering add in the onion and red pepper. Sauté until onion is transparent.
3. Toss in the garlic and cauliflower and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add in the tomatoes, paprika, saffron and sea salt. Stir to combine.
4. Nestle the salmon and scallops into the cauliflower mixture and place clams or mussels on top. Cover with a lid.
5. Steam the seafood for about 5 minutes until the shellfish has opened and fish is cooked through, then remove from heat.
6. Sprinkle the paella with fresh parsley and squeeze ½ fresh lemon over the top. Serve with additional lemon wedges.