What a great way to start your day and use that leftover pumpkin you saved from pies, with this creamy pumpkin spiced smoothie. Fiber rich and boasting anti-inflammatory ingredients you’ll feel satisfied and nourished until the next meal!
Pumpkin is a great source of fiber, Vitamin A and C and a host of minerals such as potassium manganese and copper. Pumpkin also contains a significant amount of carotene, which is a great antioxidant, as well as flavonoids which help neutralize free radicals and protect the eyes from degeneration.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, and no processed sugar.
⅓ c roasted pumpkin (or sub canned pumpkin)*
3/4 cup nut milk such as almond or cashew
¼ Haas avocado
1 inch knob of fresh ginger root
½ t pumpkin pie spice
½ t vanilla
1 t pure maple syrup
1 handful of ice
Optional: 1 scoop protein powder
*Cook’s Note: We used sugar pie pumpkin for this recipe which is widely available at most grocers, but you can use any cooking variety you choose.
1. If roasting pumpkin from scratch, preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Rub cut side with olive oil and place cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Bake pumpkin for 30 minutes or until cooked all the way through. A knife should easily cut through the flesh.
5. Let cool then scoop out the pumpkin flesh from the skin.
6. Put all of the smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender and mix on high until creamy.