We learned this method of cooking delicious chicken in a cooking class while on vacation in Tahoe, CA. Hence the name, "Tahoe Chicken." Here, we added in the veggies to make this a one-skillet meal. Allow the season, and your creativity to mix up your own favorite vegetable selections. You can also cook up the chicken in the same way without the vegetables to have tasty chicken breasts on hand for salads, wraps and other meals.
Nutritional Facts: Chicken is an excellent source of protein boasting 32g in just 4 oz. Choose organic and pastured chicken whenever possible to ensure high quality meat without the toxins that can be found in conventionally raised poultry.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, no processed sugar
2 large chicken breasts with skin on
2 T ghee
2 small zucchini
2 small crooked neck squash
1 red onion 8oz crimini/brown mushrooms
1 T each fresh rosemary and thyme (or other favorite, seasonal herb)
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Generously sprinkle sea salt on both sides of chicken and heat ghee in a large, oven-proof skillet on medium heat.
3. When ghee is hot, place chicken skin side down and cook for about 4 minutes until skin is crisp and medium brown color.
4. Turn chicken pieces over and cook for another 4 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables by washing and cutting into large chunks.
6. After chicken is browned on both sides, remove from heat and add in the vegetables.
7. Toss to coat with ghee and chicken fat. Sprinkle vegetables with sea salt and fresh herbs.
8. Put pan in oven and bake 15-20 minutes until chicken is done. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
9. Cut each breast into 6 thick slices and serve 3 slices per person on a plate with roasted vegetables.