Just in time before the end of citrus season, we’ve created this simple roasted chicken recipe with tangerines. This dish pairs nicely with our Roasted Asparagus and Spring Onions.
Tangerines are an excellent source of Vitamin C which will help to boost the immune system and supports healthy skin by working as a cofactor to building collagen. Tangerines also contain flavonoids which are antioxidants that can neutralize cancer promoting free radicals.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and no processed sugar. Can be made soy-free using coconut aminos.
6 full chicken legs, bone in and skin on
4 tangerines, sliced
¼ cup ghee, divided
1 small yellow onion
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
5 sprigs fresh oregano
1 T tamari (or coconut aminos for a soy-free option)
¼ cup Cointreu (orange liquor, optional)
2 tangerines, zested and juiced
½ t Dijon mustard
1 T extra virgin olive oil
fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease bottom and sides of 13” x 9” glass casserole dish with 1 T ghee.
3. Cut onions into wedges and place in bottom of dish.
4. Place fresh herbs on top of onions spreading out evenly, reserving one sprig of oregano for later.
5. Place chicken pieces over onions and herbs skin side down in a single layer and sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Cut 4 tangerines crosswise into ¼” slices. Nestle tangerine slices between chicken pieces.
7. Melt remaining ghee, blend with tamari and Cointreau, if using, and drizzle over chicken. Cover dish with foil.
8. Place dish in oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn chicken over, remove foil and continue to bake for approximately 30 minutes, until chicken is nicely browned.